City Clerk FAQ

No answers matched your search
General Questions
Where is City Hall located?

City Hall is located at 245 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601 (map link)

What do I make the check payable to?

Checks can be made payable to "City of Watertown".

Does your office accept credit cards?

Yes. The City Clerk’s Office accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Additional fees may be associated with each transaction, which are charged by the credit card processing companies. Marriage Licensing, however, is a cash-only transaction.

How do I get a dog license?

If you reside in the City of Watertown, you must license your dog (over the age of 4 months) in the City Clerk’s Office. You will need to present the current rabies vaccination and proof of spay or neutering upon application. Licenses are good for one year from the month of application and are renewable annually. The fee for a spayed or neutered dog is $15.00 and a non-spayed or non-neutered dog is $25.00. More information can be found here

How do I get a Handicapped Parking Permit?

Handicapped parking permit applications are available for City residents at the City Clerk’s Office. It must be completed by your physician and returned to this office either through the drop box or by appointment. Please show or provide a photocopy of the applicant’s driver’s license when submitting the form. Click here for more information. 

Vital Records
How do I get a copy of my Birth certificate?

Watertown City Clerk’s Office only has on file Birth Certificates for individuals that were born within the City limits.  You may obtain your Birth Certificate either through the mail or City Hall drop box, via the internet or in person by appointment.  For an appointment, call 315-785-7780. Please click here for more information.

How do I get a copy of a Death/Marriage Certificate?

Entitled parties can obtain a copy of a Death Certificate for a person who died within the City of Watertown or a Marriage Certificate for a couple who obtained a marriage license at City Hall. For further information, click here.

How do I get a copy of my divorce?

Divorces are handled by the Jefferson County Clerk’s Office. Call them at 315-785-3081 or visit their website at

Getting Married
How do I get married?

To get married, a couple must first obtain a Marriage License. Both parties must come to City Hall by appointment. Please click here for additional information on the documents and fees required to obtain the license.

Once you have your marriage license, you must wait 24 hours before you have a ceremony. Marriage ceremonies are also offered at City Hall by appointment. Find more information here

Does the City Clerk’s Office perform wedding ceremonies?

The City Clerk’s Office performs ceremonies at City Hall on weekdays by appointment. Ceremonies can be performed for Marriage Licenses that were obtained from any municipality within New York State.  The cost is $70. Please call the office at 315-785-7780 and provide the Marriage License Registration Number when making an appointment. For further information, click here.

Permits and Licenses
How do I get a license to have a food truck on City streets?

The City Clerk’s Office accepts applications for Vending On Public Streets. This is an annual license, and the application must be completed and approved prior to any sale. Please click here for more information. 

If you are vending on private property and not on public property, a license is not necessary, but you should contact the Planning Department to ensure the property is zoned for that type of business. If your vending is in connection to an event, such as the Farmers’ Market or Downtown-hosted event, a license is not necessary, but you will need to seek permission from the organization hosting the event.

Council Meetings
When and where does City Council meet?

For questions regarding City Council Meetings, please here

General Information
Phone Numbers
(315) 785-7780
Fax: (315) 785-7796
Emergencies: Dial 911
245 Washington St.