Vending in Public Streets

Any vending done on public streets must be approved by the City and a license must be obtained prior to any sale.  This is an annual license which expires each calendar year on April 30.  If the vending includes the sale of food, a valid NYS Department of Health Permit must be in place.


Annual License fee is $100 (Fees for Licenses requested between November 1st and April 30th of the following year will be half the rate) 

Application Process

Complete the Vending in Public Street License application   

Make check payable to the “Watertown City Clerk” for the appropriate amount

Mail application form, NYS Department of Health Permit (if applicable) and payment to the City Clerk’s Office, 245 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601 or place in an envelope addressed to the “City Clerk” in the City Hall Drop Box located at the Sterling Street entrance to the building

Things to remember 

If you are vending on private property and not on public property, a license is not necessary, but you should contact the Planning Department to ensure the property is zoned for that type of business. 

If you are vending in connection with an event, such as the Farmers’ Market or a Downtown-hosted event, a license is not necessary, but you will need to seek permission from the organization hosting the event.

General Information
Phone Numbers
(315) 785-7780
Fax: (315) 785-7796
Emergencies: Dial 911
245 Washington St.