Vending in Public Streets

Any vending done on public streets must be approved by the City and a license must be obtained prior to any sale.  This is an annual license which expires each calendar year on April 30. 


Annual License fee is $100 

Required Supporting Documentation

  • Copy of Certificate of General Liability Insurance naming the City of Watertown as additional insured (Coverage requirements - $2,000,000 for general aggregate and $1,000,000 for each occurrence)
  • Copy of valid NYS Dept of Health Permit (if selling food)
  • Copy of Code Enforcement Mobile Food Vehicle Inspection form (if selling food)

Application Process

Complete the Vending in Public Street License application   

Make check payable to the “Watertown City Clerk” for the appropriate amount

Mail application form along with the supporting documentation and payment to the City Clerk’s Office, 245 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601 or place in an envelope addressed to the “City Clerk” in the City Hall Drop Box located at the Sterling Street entrance to the building

Things to remember 

If you are vending on private property and not on public property, a license is not necessary, but you should contact the Planning Department to ensure the property is zoned for that type of business. 

If you are vending in connection with an event, such as the Farmers’ Market or a Downtown-hosted event, a license is not necessary, but you will need to seek permission from the organization hosting the event.

General Information
Phone Numbers
(315) 785-7780
Fax: (315) 785-7796
Emergencies: Dial 911
245 Washington St.