Our Selection Process For Employment:
The selection process is job-related and competitive in nature and is designed to determine the candidate's potential for successful performance as a police officer.
The complete selection process consists of:
- Written civil service examination
- Physical agility test
- Background investigation
- Interview board
- Medical examination
- Psychological evaluation
All candidates MUST:
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency diploma
- Be at least twenty (20) years old and not have reached their thirty-fifth (35th) birthday.
- There is an extension for military service. Call civil service (315-785-7733) for information
- Possess a valid NYS driver's license
- Be able to work shifts (overnight, holiday & weekend)
- Comply with WPD policy which requires all members to present a neat and professional appearance at all times.
- No beards, tattoos, brands, body piercing or other body art shall be visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire. The uniform includes a short sleeve shirt with open neck (top button) in front.
- Candidates with a history of perpetuating violence (to include elder abuse, child assault, sexual attack, stalking or domestic violence) or who have been named as a respondent in an order of protection will be screened out at this point in the hiring process
- A felony conviction automatically disqualifies a candidate
Candidates who do not meet and pass the above listed criteria will not be considered for employment with the Watertown Police Department