Public Square was deeded in 1805 for public use and was originally called the Mall. Such public areas were common in New England towns and villages at the time and was a typical location of the center of the business district.
The round parks in the center of the square were laid out in 1863 which consisted of an oval with a fountain for watering cattle and horses and two outer circles at each end. Because cattle roamed the square in the early days, the central isle was set off with fence posts and a link chain.
Around 1865, the first flagpole was placed in the large oval. It was made from a single 122 foot tree from a local forest. In 1894, the square was paved for the first time and in 1906 the fencing was removed.
An early 1865 Public Square
Looking down Mill Street from the square
Looking west toward Arsenal & Court Street from State Street
Close up of the ornate bandstand that was in the center of purblic square
Harris House stood near the corner of Franklin & Public Square
Looking down State Street from Public Square
Looking Westward toward Court Street
A view from the Rothstock
Another view from the Rothstock
Roswell P Flower Monument Looking south on Washington Street
Read the 2009 Friends of Saint-Gaudens Newsletter
about constructing the Roswell P Flower Statue
Facing Mill Street